Saturday, January 10, 2009

Explanation of Ignorance Was Bliss

Hokay, well I wrote that in November one day while sitting in my room at Creighton. (I go there, just so you know.) I should have been doing my homework, but I get easily distracted by the glaring sun that shines right into my eyes at around 3:30 in the afternoon. I tend to get depressed really easily around then, too...idk why. But that's the mood I was in that afternoon, so I wrote this.

I believe interpretation of poetry is a bit useless. Each reader sees it differently, so the only point of interpreting it (like in classes) is to see what other people think about it. There is no "correct" interpretation...I think everyone finds a way to connect it to themselves, so obviously that connection is going to vary from person to person. It's like snowflakes: no 2 connections are the same. For me, it was about coming to college. I felt removed from the rest of the world, like I was in some kind of time warp and nothing else in the world was really happening. I don't even have a tv in my room, so i can't watch the news or anything. I don't know that I would even want to watch the news, but still. So nothing seemed real to me. Then 2 of my close friends, Eric and Michelle, were forced to deal with some serious things that happened to people who were really close to them. That's where the second half of the poem comes in...dealing with the crap that makes life suck, but finding your way back to the real world through it. So yeah. I'd love to know what anyone else thinks. Thanks...
Ali G.

2 comments: