Monday, March 19, 2012

And by morning we'll be free

This post's title is courtesy of "What's Left of the Flag" by Flogging Molly, in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day. I've been digging that song a lot lately, and the line seemed applicable to the short post you're about to read.

Late at night/early in the morning is my prime awake time. I rarely, if ever, fall asleep before 2:00am - even less often before 1:00, and almost never before midnight. My brain is churning and I just can't imagine going to sleep.

I think about everything I possibly can, and it's a little ridiculous. Late-night thoughts are weird ones, which makes it such a good time to do that type of thinking. I make plans, I see the way I want things to happen in the future (both near and far), and I get motivated to do things. But like I told someone recently...one of my favorite lyrics - though I don't even know the song* - goes, "What is simple in the moonlight by the morning never is." I've always felt like that, ever since I can remember. I lay in bed, waiting and waiting and waiting for the tides of sleep to wash over me, and I just know what I'm going to do with my life when I wake up in the morning. Then I get to the next day...and it's never that easy.

I can't decide whether I like staying up late and thinking a ton or being so exhausted that I fall asleep immediately (like I did last semester). I don't know if I'll ever figure out the right balance. But as of right now, I think I'm okay with that.

Sorry for waiting a month and a half to write here. I just haven't had any meaningless nonsense to shout out into the abyss for a while. I love you all.

*I'd like to clarify, I am familiar with the song - I just haven't ever cared enough to listen to it. I like the line, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment