Saturday, March 5, 2011

Take your bags upstairs, tell yourself you still live here

How to return home.

I didn't want to be here. Honestly, I still don't really want to be here. I want to be back in MY room, the one where I do my real living - not the one here in this house, the room that could have been cut out of a magazine. Here in this town, the one that goes to bed at 10:30 and wakes up at 7, goes to the YMCA and runs errands at HyVee and Miller Pharmacy.

Why don't I want to be here?

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure. I just want to be in Omaha.

I like Omaha. I like its sunrises and sunsets, I like its city atmosphere, I like the pedestrian bridge and Jones Bros. Cupcakes, I like that my friends are there. I like being on campus, especially those times when I have it to myself.

I think the issue here is less about spring break and more about summer. I don't want to feel so much like a child, the way I do here. My mom leaves me a list of things to do each day, including things like working out and doing the laundry, buying groceries, cleaning my bathroom, etc. If I was living on campus by myself this summer...I can just imagine it. I'd be so much more independent. I'd have work to do during the days, of course, but then I could go to the Farmer's Market or ride my bike to the pedestrian bridge and just sit for a while. I'd be able to take care of myself and not have to worry about doing things just to make my mom happy.

I might be growing up.

"It's a funny thing about coming home. Looks the same, smells the same, feels the same. You'll realize what's changed is you." - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

2 comments:

  1. Ali darling. I love this post. You took my feelings and wrote them much better than I could. AND I love that quote--never seen the movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH we should watch it!
    I can't stop listening to the song. It just describes my life so perfectly right now.

    ReplyDelete