Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happiness throws a shower of sparks

(this is all of my typical advice thrown into one post. to everyone and no one in particular, including myself)

Stop it.

Stop thinking those thoughts that say you're worthless, ugly, terrible.

Stop being surprised when you're told that someone finds you attractive. Why shouldn't they? Look at all the things about you to attract them. There are a lot. Whether it's your laugh, smile, body, personality, whatever. It's damn attractive, and you should believe it.

Stop buying into the songs that tell you how to feel about yourself. You know, the ones that make you subconsciously start disliking parts of you so that you can be proven wrong by someone - "her laugh, she hates it but I think it's so sexy" and "you don't know you're beautiful, and that's what makes you beautiful." I don't want to swear on this blog, but really, F THAT S. Own your beauty. You're awesome. You're allowed to be aware of the fact that you're awesome. Now I'm not saying you have to shove your awesomeness down everyone's throats - they're aware of it too.

Stop with the idea that there's just one person out there for you. Anyone out there could be for you. If you keep thinking there only exists one solitary partner for your life, you're heading down a potentially lonely (and quite frankly boring) path.

Be with the people around you. Get to know them even deeper than you do. Be the one that someone comes to for ice cream to heal a broken heart (many of my friends know that's my solution - and make it good ice cream, like Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Buns or Coldstone's Birthday Cake Remix). Buy a drink for someone (if you're 21+, that is). Offer to drive. If you like something about a person, tell them. Allow someone to buy you a drink...or do what's even more difficult and accept a compliment from them without turning it down and refusing to accept it. Say thanks.

Do something you loooove. I'm not saying it has to be your career. I'm fully aware that I'm not going to be an actual artist someday, but I still let myself paint because I enjoy it. I allow myself to be satisfied with the results.

Let go of regret. As I said in my previous post, "regret is such a pointless emotion, don't you think?" If you're upset about the outcome of something, don't bother wishing you could alter it. Regretting it isn't going to change the outcome. Consider it, learn from it, move on.

These are my current thoughts, my ways that I'm trying to create a happier life for myself. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment